DID YOU KNOW?
Here's a little something for your next dinner party!
- Jim Fixx, who wrote The Complete Book of Running, and lectured about how running
and a healthy diet would promote longevity, dropped dead from a heart attack while
running. An autopsy revealed he had 3 massively blocked heart arteries. He was 52!
- Jayne Mansfield decorated her house by writing to 1,500 furniture and
building suppliers and asking for free samples, telling the donors they could
then brag that their goods were in the mansion. The pitch worked, and she
received over $150,000 worth of free merchandise to decorate her house which
she called The Pink Palace.
- If you suffer from Chaetophobia, you have an abnormal and persistent fear of hair.
- Happy Birthday To You was the first song to be performed in outer
space, sung by the Apollo IX astronauts on March 8, 1969. There is no record
of whose birthday they were celebrating.
- Urban Myth Busting - You CANNOT cook an egg with two mobile phones as has been
reported by many websites and health related articles. The myth was based on a
satirical article by Charles Ivermee of Southampton, U.K., who later owned up to
- When Edwin Beard Budding invented the Lawn Mower in 1827 part of his description
of the new device stated "country gentlemen may find, in using my machine
themselves, an amusing, useful and healthy exercise".
- Joan Rivers was once quoted as saying "If God had wanted us to bend over,
He would have put diamonds on the floor".
- Silly Putty was invented by James Wright of General Electric in 1943, when he
dropped boric acid into silicone oil. GE supplied the newly discovered dilatant
compound to researchers around the world. No-one found a use for it, but they all
loved playing with it.
- Need a little something extra to clean those greasy clothes? According to the
book Handy Household Hints pour one can of Coca-Cola into a load of greasy work clothes,
add detergent, and run through a regular wash cycle.
- The Idiot Files: Francis Karnes, a 39-year-old man from Sacramento, California,
was charged with reckless endangerment after he pulled a gun and shot his lawnmower
when it wouldn't start.
- The popular forked peace symbol was designed by Gerald Holtom of the UK in 1958,
and was adopted by the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament in Britain before becoming a
symbol for peace world-wide. The symbol was a combination of the semaphore signals
for N and D, standing for Nuclear Disarmament.
- In 1920, Eugene V. Debs, a Socialist, received 920,000 votes for President of
the United States even though he ran his entire campaign from prison.
- The birth name of Michelle Phillips, the singer and actress, is Holly Michelle Gilliam.
- Word of the Week: If you are NESCIENT, you are believed to be ignorant.
- Reportedly, there is a law in Logan County, Colorado, which states that it is
illegal for a man to kiss a woman while she is asleep.
If you're interested in getting quizzes, puzzles or other games for your newspaper, magazine, ezine, etc., visit
and speak to the friendly team there about All Things Trivia